Frederick James Wills

Born 19 March 2006 Died 2 May 2007


Wednesday 14 March 2007

Day 254 (Wed 14 Mar)(Day Plus 29)Wed, 03/14/2007 - 23:25 — endc011
Fred was his normal self last night – unsettled and a bit sick. I was up at the house and Rachel stayed with Fred. I managed to cook up a garlic-heavy chilli tomato spaghetti, which I can still detect now.

I get in this morning a bit apprehensive as to what will have happened overnight, as we also await the results of the bone marrow aspirate.

He is still requiring oxygen and it is explained that when he was in theatre he may have inhaled some fluid, such as vomit. The x-rays show some fuzziness and marks suggesting this what happened, especially as it coincided with him coming out of theatre. There is also a chance however that it could be an infection, which is something we definitely do not want as it can take ages to shift.

The problem that he experienced yesterday has been explained to us briefly, but we are told it had nothing to do with his current problem. He was due a platelet transfusion (they help clotting) as his counts were quite low, as well as a blood transfusion (again this means less oxygen being able to be carried around the body). For some reason he was not given them prior to his trip to theatre, which really should have happened. Hopefully I will find out more in time, but it seems likely that his problems occurred in theatre, inhaling some fluid into his lungs.

We assume that they will dry out in time and his breathing efficiency increases to what it was before – 99-100%.

We also speak with Michelle who would have looked at the bone marrow slides after yesterday’s procedure. She says they look good, but does need to receive some more detailed data following another test. They have also done the Chimerism test, and they should be able to see what percentage of blood/marrow is the donors. They may want to get some GvL going as I have previously mentioned. If it is not then there is a procedure they can do where they give Fred some of the donors lymphocytes. These deal with immunity and make antibodies.

Fred heads off to x-ray as they need to take another look at his chest and see how it is going. He enjoys the ride down through the corridors.

Word is getting around that Fred is back on the block. Most seem really pleased, and surprised he is back, hopefully all in good circumstances.

I wander around the town for some lunch today. It is nice and sunny and feels summery. Hopefully this lung problem is just a blip as little Fred has had enough of misfortune in his short life so far.

As we have moved Claire has suggested I update you with the address. Post will get to us wherever we are though.

Mst. Frederick J Wills, Cubicle 2, Ward 34, Level 5, Bristol Royal Children’s Hospital, Upper Maudlin Street, Bristol BS2 8BJ

I am posting this early from the hospital as we have found an unsecured wireless access point from the window.

Day 253 (Tue 13 Mar)(Day Plus 28)Wed, 03/14/2007 - 04:50 — endc011
We both had a good evening last night with him dozing most of the time. I signed the consent form for the bone marrow aspirate which happened first thing this morning.

Due to him recharging his batteries in the evening he was quite active during the night again. When I awoke to change his nappy, his bed was all a bit wet and in the gloom I thought he had yucked up again. Sarah and Megan were in the room too, and we rummaged around him in the gloom and found one of the lines had become disconnected. The wetness was the TPN leaking. I do not know how it became unattached, as it is a screw thread connection, but he does roll around a lot and the sides of the cot are up to maximum level, and this puts a strain on some of the lines if he rolls in particular ways though.

I awoke at 0600h and then started to wipe the bed down which is our daily ritual now. I put Fred in the inflatable doughnut whilst he is out of the bed, and he seemed quite happy. I think we actually got some sleep in the early hours in the end.

He was been scheduled for being on the list first thing today, and is ready to roll from 0830h onwards. His nurse comes in and advises me that we will go to theatre as planned but Fred will be transferred to Ward 34, as he is being discharged from BMT isolation.

This was a bit of a surprise to me, but we had an inkling although it was not confirmed to us. We were initially told that he would be in iso for at least four to six weeks, and would likely become profoundly ill during the process. To date not much has happened and other than mucusitus he has done OK I thought. To be moved so rapidly out, without explanation as to why or what happens next just adds to our ever present sense of worry.

I hurriedly got his stuff together and bagged our things before we took him down to Theatres on Level 4. Once he was in the Anaesthetic Room, he was given his meds and we left him falling asleep.

Whilst he was in theatre I had about an hour to move the stuff from BMT to Ward 34, which I did along with the porters trolley.

As I arrived on the ward and find that theatre have called to say that he is ready for collection, so we head down and find a sleepy Fred, a little grumpy.

There is some delay in releasing him from the theatre as his pulse rate is rather high and his oxygen levels in the blood are unusually low. Charlie (his nurse for today) is not keen to move him until he has stabilised. It was not obvious to me (but was to her thankfully) but he was at that time in some difficulty. She also has the benefit of knowing Fred’s foibles for nearly eight months too. I later learn that there may have been problems prior to the operation, and so need to find out more about what happened.

We get back we get our old room (Cubicle 2) and Charlie has expertly made a “Welcome Back Fred!” poster with stars on, and this was stuck to the door which was a nice thought. I took a photograph of it and sent it to Rachel, who should be back later this afternoon.

Fred, back on the ward, remained having trouble with his oxygen levels and is breathing quite fast still. He is also running a slight temperature, and all of these cause us concern. I suppose that as Fred has been re-admitted to the ward, he is seen by the doctors as “new” admission and so they do seem to spend an extraordinary amount of time looking at him. This worries me due to his current problems after returning from theatre.

He also has been given a bit of background oxygen to help him along which keeps his oxygen sats up to 100%, and the Outreach Nurse from Intensive Care “pops in” as he has had to be given oxygen. Again this is worrying that they are taking this level of interest, when I am still not clear what has really happened, or more importantly, what the implications may or may not be.

Fred has a chest x-ray done as he is still very snuffly, and there are some indications of either fluid on his lungs or an infection. This might be due to the anaesthetic, but I do not know. Tomorrow I will be able to ask some questions and get some answers I hope.

Fred settles a bit before I head back and he gets the platelets he needed, plus the blood transfusion as I head back.

He is asleep when I left and so I hope he will get a restful nights sleep and that his sats will improve because of this. Again, this is all more worry and at the time of posting the ‘blog we do not know the results of the BMA or the trephine, where they take a small core of bone during the operation too.

Day 252 (Mon 12 Mar)(Day Plus 27)Tue, 03/13/2007 - 04:05 — endc011
I arrive back in Bristol at 1100h and Rachel and June hop into the car, to head back.

I find Fred fast asleep and learn he has been quite good the last day or two. His fluid balance is still going up and down, with him weighing 10.06kg on Sunday and 9.88kg this morning. He is still being sick with some foods and the old question of where the NG tube is raised.

They decide to ease the tube a bit further down, so that it turns into a NJ tube, which will hopefully mean he is more settled in that respect.

He sleeps most of the time with me today, waking occasionally to see what is going on around him. He still has a temperature running and this remains around the 37.5c mark again.

Tomorrow he is due to have another bone marrow aspirate in theatre again. This is where they take a sample of the marrow out of the bone to see whether there is any disease evident. It means we have to worry for a day or two as to what they will find. No one has explained the possible outcomes which makes it all the more worrying.

He will also have a chimerism test tomorrow where they check the blood and to see how it has been affected by the transplant. Again I do not know what they will find or even how long it takes to test. Someone did mention “a few days..”

He also got a bag of platelets as they have dropped again.

The doctors seem pleased so far at his general well being but I suppose that all hinges on these tests tomorrow.

It is mentioned to us that Fred may be moved out of iso back into non-iso. There is a pressure for beds I suspect as three new patients are coming into iso today. Fred’s counts have been climbing recently which mean - I assume – that his immunity has started to improve. It takes a long while to get back to a normal immune system though.

Day 251 (Sun Mar 11)(Day Plus 26)Mon, 03/12/2007 - 01:29 — endc011
I visited Wayne and Claire last night and had a good feed as usual. It was nice to chat and a drink and to catch up.

I spoke with Rachel earlier and she said that Fred was quite jolly and with his new talent of throwing stuff out of his bed, only to wait for it to be replaced by someone. A minute or two later out it comes again.

The weather is good today so the fence is due to go up without any blustery wind. Unfortunately the metal base I thought I had is not in the shed, and so I have to pop out to Focus and get another one. They do not have one in stock and as I leave I see Steve W in there. He is a blogger too and knows why I am in there too. He is doing his fence as well, and whilst chatting to him I see Andy and Kathy from work. They too know why I am there after reading the ‘blog.

As I go to meet up with Amanda and Mark who are helping me, I bump into her mum and dad too.

They bring along my godson, James, who finds it highly amusing at our antics in the back garden getting the post in the ground. Lots of noisy hammering sees him chuckling away.

It finally goes up and none of us are injured.

I shall head back tomorrow and Rachel will return with her mum.

I am tried to sort some bills to day, another one of which is estimated. We had a water meter fitted some months ago after we came here, and the first bill seemed to be higher than I thought it would be. Anyway, I noted yesterday that it was “estimated” as well – lazy toads, the meter is in the road for them to read – and so instead of 24 cubic metres as they say, I see I have used 5 cubic metres instead so hopefully that will change.

Not much else happens really but Fred seems to be still settled.

On Day Plus 28 he will have his Chimerism Test which will indicate how much of his blood is his, and how much is the donors. I do not know anything about that topic yet.

I now know how many words I have typed on the ‘blog. In MS Word, I have created 218 pages of text, 142,000 words in over 13,000 lines of text. There have been 65,322 page views of the ‘blog since I started on July 24 2006 at 0922h. I backdated the early pages as I could not find an easy way to do the ‘blog. During that time I have also probably put on 10 stone in weight through eating 117 ready meals….. well almost. And I have probably only polished my shoes a couple times. Normally they have a fairly good shine to them.

Day 250 (Sat 10 Mar)(Day Plus 25)Sun, 03/11/2007 - 02:22 — endc011
Another slightly disrupted night in that Fred grumbles quite a bit. He is having the 10mls of milk constantly and I do not know whether this causes him some discomfort or not. He brings up a few bits, but is generally fine.

Again at 0500h he becomes playful and wants to make noise and bang the rails with his rattles. This is good for him really as he must enjoy it, because he looks very happy even though I am tutting when he drops things over the side of the cot on to the floor.

Rachel gets in early and we get the bed changed and new sheets plus new clothes for Fred. He will be weighed after I have gone today but he feels heavy. I do not know how much extra fluid is on him as he should also be putting weight on too quietly. His TPN is 85% of his nutritional needs, plus the milk, plus some lipids which he gets. Also he is nibbling on baby rice and stuff and is not being as sick as he was a few weeks ago where nothing would remain in its place.

June will be here soon so I go back to the house to get my bag and collect any post.

Soon I am heading down the M5 and the sun is shining.

Fred’s day seems to be as the last few days, and he has taken interest in his solids again. This is good, as if all goes well then one of the things keeping us at the hospital longer than we should, would be feeding. Children can have real feeding problems following chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant, and it sometimes takes time to get them back into the swing of it. They eventually get there of course, but it can be a delay.

There were two other transplants last night and I spoke to the parent of one, who agreed it was a bit of an anticlimax. I saw him this morning at the house and he said he’d had a few glasses of red wine last, so was glugging on orange juice.

I spoke to Rachel in the afternoon and he has been quite happy, a little noisy at times but this could be boredom creeping in. Music got him going again.

I manage to get my hair cut thankfully, and so I am all clipped once again. Feels good and no itchy flaky scalp today either. However, I apparently jiggled about too much in the chair today.

Good to see Katherine has her PC back?

Day 249 (Fri 09 Mar)(Day Plus 24)Sat, 03/10/2007 - 03:01 — endc011
Not the best night here as he was unsettled for most of it. He seemed to be waking each hour, and getting more and more tired with it. However, this just made him grumpier and at 0500h he was wide awake and wanting to explore his little bed space with my participation. My enthusiasm had waned by then, but he remained defiant and persisted and did not sleep much for the rest of the day.

Rachel appeared with a large bag of his clean clothes in the morning which was rather useful as he was wearing his last little outfit. He had been sick a couple of times overnight, which also made us all a bit grumpy.

The both of us went back to the house for some lunch which was nice and the weather is good at the moment. There were a few others there and it gave us a chance to have a chat and for me to have a shower. When we get back Fred has been looked after by a couple of the nurses, although he has returned their care by falling asleep for all of the time we have been away.

It is music day today as well, and Fred awakes just in time. This time he is prepared and we have a raucous sing-along with quite a lot of noise. Fred ends up concentrating intently on the music, with bells tied to his ankles. On cue he will repeatedly slam his legs down in time with the music. No grinning this time, but determined concentration to keep up. He did this for a few times, before he started to lose concentration occasionally. I have managed to get that on video so I need to put it on to DVD now. I have about 13 hours of Fred on video, with probably 9 or 10 being in the hospital. I have not yet had the opportunity to look back on Fred when he had just been born. He was all knitted hat and cardigan then.

The singing and music din could be heard outside his room, though most thought we must be a “musical family” and so it sounded good anyway. Fred certainly enjoyed this session and did not fall asleep afterwards as we had hoped.

His WBC is 1.5 and neutrophil count comes back as 1.29 which is a good sign we are told as they are gradually coming up. The more of an immune system he has the less vulnerable he is to infection as this is why he is isolation at the moment. Apparently it also indicates that the donors marrow is starting to engraft and producing things. The anti-rejection drugs (Cyclosporin and MMF) will now be stopped carefully, so as to try and encourage a bit of GvL, (Graft versus Leukaemia – see glossary) where the new donor cells will go looking for Fred’s remaining leukaemic cells, and hopefully mop them up once and for all. Nothing is ever as simple as that of course, but that is the gist. He will also need a blood transfusion although it is unlikely to be tonight now. Unless it is really necessary blood is usually given during “normal” hours rather then in the dark. I think this is really down to any problems that might occur when receiving a blood product. It is more difficult to observe someone in the dark, and there are less staff on at night, so seems sensible to me. Fred has had blood over night before as he really needed it but that was quite a few months ago on Ward 34. In an emergency that policy is overridden if necessary.

Rachel is up at the house again tonight as I will be staying here again. I will head back to the Bay tomorrow morning all being well, and June will stay here for a day or two. I desperately need to visit my hair artiste as I could double as one of the Beatles at the moment with all this hair. Even my gentleman’s hair pomade is having some difficulty at the moment.

My appeal earlier in the week for an extra pair of hands for when I put the fence up was answered so I am grateful for that. For Chris and Darren who offered their services as well, thankyou.

A couple more people who are at the house have transferred across to this side now. I also stopped and spoke with Helen today in the foyer and then again later at the house and hopefully they have settled in here. To make space for the incomers, a couple have also headed back out to the house which must be great for them. Some have been here for months and months (like us) and some have only been diagnosed at the end of last year. They have had their transplant in that time and have headed out again. As I have said previously, there are many forms of cancer, leukaemia and blood disorders and you cannot really compare each one easily.

I had hoped to get the cow painted today but did not have time and did not give the play therapist enough time. She did deliver some eyes and a piece of pink fabric for a tongue. The eyes are very important to finish it off though, and I will leave those to last.

I must try and get some sleep tonight as I will nod off on the way back tomorrow if not. Hopefully the weather will be good on the way back.

Again Fred seems to have had a good day. I am pleased, but a little nervous about the engrafting bit, as the whole process is incredibly complicated and prone to problems. We only know a tiny bit of nothing and so I might simplify the ‘blog greatly without knowing what I am saying. We can also easily forget the bad times and possible problems and get too confident so we shall continue to take each day as it comes, and goes.

Day 248 (Thu 08 Mar)(Day Plus 23)Fri, 03/09/2007 - 03:43 — endc011
Fred and Rachel would have had a good night except for the milk pump, which kept bleeping every thirty minutes or so. This particular brand of feed is much gloopier than previous types and it tends to clog in the tube, causing a blockage. It is moving at a rate of 10ml so is understandable.

It does not clog in the day though.

Fred still has a temperature and this bobs around the 37.5c mark, but with paracetamol is kept in check. His counts today are the same as yesterday, CRP 30 and his neutrophils at a little less than yesterday. Hopefully the latter will increase gradually but they way the blood counts are done means it can be tricky to get an accurate level.

He gets another go at eating some solids and accepts some happily. Sadly this comes up a bit later, although we give him some more about half an hour later which stays down. He seems content to take little bits and this needs to be continued. We sit and discuss this a bit later and wonder whether the constant trickle of milk and the TPN will take the edge off his appetite.

Rachel goes out in the afternoon to get some food for Fred and I. The yoghurt does not go down well with Fred but we will keep trying.

On my limited travels I see Helen moving in to the non-iso bit, so may bump into her in due course.

Not a lot happens today and I do not bother to venture out. It is a nice day but I opt to stay with Fred.

Generally Fred seems fine but he is a bit grumbly today and has been sick a few times and is difficult to settle. We try to look for more teeth in his head but it is too difficult.

The cash cow is nearly finished now as the horns have been applied. I need to think how to do the udders, but need to combine this with a way to get at the money. Rachel suggested I use the teat from one of Freds disposable milk bottles, and incorporate the neck into the underside of the cow. This sounds ideal and now have to wait for Fred to have some more milk delivered.

Day 247 (Wed 07 Mar)(Day Plus 22)Thu, 03/08/2007 - 00:22 — endc011
Fred continues to tolerate his milk on the pump but every now and then he has to yuck some up. It is not on the same frequency as previously but obviously would be better in. However, as there are 12 or so hours in between he must be getting some nutrition from it whilst it is in his stomach.

He is now on Paediasure which comes in 500ml bottles, and which are hung from the pump and get dispensed at whatever rate you want. Fred is currently on 5 – 10ml an hour, but with 85% of his requirements topped up with the TPN, which runs for 18 hours a day. His milk goes via the NG tube over 20 hours so he does not experience the flavour until it comes back up again. However we offer him 5 spoons of blueberry and apple baby rice which goes down well and is another step in the right direction.

His weight has crept back up to 9.8kg in the morning and we have to wait and see what happens with the fluid balance. After a while the fluid moves out to the tissue and means it is less easy to remove, although the diuretics help. Once the fluids can come off the body, and back to be wee’d out, the better Fred should be. Too much diuretic will dry him out in one place too much and he will be soggy in another so it is a fine balancing act.

His neutrophil count today is 0.78 so has come up a bit, and his CRP is at 30, being a little drop.

We have tried to keep him dozing today with the blinds down. He is easily distracted by what is going on outside, so when the blind is down he settles and snores quietly.

One of Fred’s neighbours in iso heads back to their home hospital today, after a few months here. They cleared out their stuff from Sam’s House yesterday evening and so today we saw her wheeled off to an ambulance for the return journey. One of the nurses from here also attends, plus the two ambulance staff.

My cash cow progresses well with the ears and tail on, plus two front legs. It has all the hallmarks at the moment of a pig, but should be transformed once painted black and white. I have manufactured two experimental horns which will take a while to dry.

Day 246 (Tue 06 Mar)(Day Plus 21)Wed, 03/07/2007 - 03:23 — endc011
The mutton was cooked slowly last night once I got in and made two meals so Rachel will have some tonight. Cooking slowly meant I ate at 200h ish, but meant I could sit in my Dettol bath for just a bit longer.

He had a good night again but it appears he is holding onto fluids a bit. He is 650 positive this morning, which means he now weighs around 9.9kg. He did have some platelets last night and maybe some other stuff which makes him retains, but he gets his diuretic and so nappies are heavy once again. When I weighed him at 1700h he was 9.66kg so has lost a little more which is good news.


His counts are also doing well today and his WBC is now around 0.8, and his CRP is 33. The results of the NPA come back negative too, although they do not look for the common cold virus. We think that is what he has that happened to coincide with the tail end of his mucusitus. They will take some other samples today to check for other stomach bugs, just to see how he is going.

It is three weeks ago today he had his transplant and we await the problems we were promised with anticipation. I am not sure what happens next, other than the risk of GvHD occurring, but we told that so long as the counts come up slowly then this is less likely. The days seem to have flown by and it is easy to get into a routine, although in the back of your mind you worry that today will be the day he starts having problems.

Fred had another music session today again and this time really got into the swing of it. Julia, Rachel, Fred and I ended on singing “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow” whilst all of us thrashed away on our instruments. He joined in a lot more today and was also more concentrated on what he is doing. I have put a couple of photographs on the ‘blog and Rachel can be seen waving a carrot at Fred. It is a rattle of sorts.

It is nice to be able to chat to the other parents and their relatives. You soon get to find out that there are many many different types of cancer and probably a multiple more of different treatments, or protocols. It certainly helps both parties to be able to chat to people who are “behind” you in progress, and they ask about what happens and what to expect. One of the biggest fears is not actually knowing what happens. Sometimes I get the impression from staff they give you very general and vague impressions purposely, which is fine if you do not really want to know, but can be frustrating if you are a person whom needs to know. Everyone is different of course.

In some respects Fred has been lucky with how he has reacted to the chemotherapy in the past, and on one block was with us up at CLIC House most of that month, and only popped in each day to have his bloods done. It was high strength stuff so surprised us he felt so well. When we first came here I feared that the second the chemotherapy is given, then sickness and awful side effects would happen immediately, whereas in reality it appeared to come on gradually which enables you to become used to it in a way. However, each treatment is different and different patients react in different ways.

I have also progressed a bit with the cash cow and this afternoon constructed some ears, and the bottom lip. Rachel - being a ruminatory expert - drew a Friesian for me highlighting the various bits which I was impressed with. However in my haste to tear up the sugar paper the drawing sadly disappeared and is now stuck all over his mouth. The ears are oversized, as the bovine beast will have to be stylised in a way. I have also squirreled away a cable tie they use to seal the yellow contaminated waste bags. These have a serial number stamped onto them and are used to identify which ward the bag came from, but in our case it will become the animal’s ear tag.

There was an article in the Herald Express today about my colleagues football match at Clennon Valley this evening with proceeds going to CLIC Sargent. Once I learn more about it I will let you know via the ‘blog and hope someone will send me some photographs so I can put it on the Media section. My dad and brother went down to Clennon to have a look as well. At 1845h the score was 2 - 2 and it had just started to rain. I spoke to my brother at that time and they were all squeezing into the bunker to keep dry and it sounded all quite crowded. I wish I had been able to attend now.

Cut and paste the Heralds link if you did not see the article:

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=134844&command=displayContent&sourceNode=134828&contentPK=16808387&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

Clare asked about Fred’s first birthday (Mondays ‘blog) which is indeed on the 19th March and where I suspect we will still be in isolation. Fred is limited to what toys he can have in here, as they need to be boil washed and wipeable. Space is at a premium and even I am finding it hard to hoard my craft supplies. He also has an impressive range especially from his Christmas booty so we thought that if people wanted to, they could send cards to the hospital and then we could have the fun of opening them here and getting Fred to deal with the incoming post. We will probably need to open them outside the room but we do that, rather than staff. It would also enable his room to have some colour and interest. Clare also asked for the address so here we are: Mst. Frederick J Wills, BMT Ward, Level 7, Bristol Royal Children’s Hospital, Upper Maudlin Street, Bristol BS2 8BJ. If we have moved then it will find its way to us anyway.

I am hoping that all will be well with Fred so that I can head home this coming weekend. There are many things to do, including getting an accurate reading to the gas company. We have hardly used any fuel this winter but I did not have the opportunity to email them the latest reading. This has meant that they have estimated our bill (at £300.00) and decided to increase our monthly payments to £90.00. It should be a lot less than that. I hope.

I am also going to grasp the nettle and get the fence post up whilst I am back. If there is a willing pair of hands about can they let me know? All I need to do on the Saturday or Sunday, is knock a Metpost base into the stump of the old post, knock the 6’ post into the Metpost, and then re-fix the two 6’ fence panels into the clips. No digging will be involved as I will re-use the existing concrete base in the ground.

Day 245 (Mon 05 Mar)(Day Plus 20)Tue, 03/06/2007 - 01:34 — endc011
Last evening I was quietly carrying out a spot of podiatric care on myself under the light of the opthalmoscope, when I was aware of someone peering in at me. One of the doctors was trying to see what I was doing through the screen so I hurriedly had to sweep aside some bits of dead skin, before she popped in.

Fred did not wake me very much again, although the nurse said he was a little unsettled through the night. He seems to have a bit of a cough too, that only occurs occasionally through the day but seems to irritate him as he cannot shift the mucus easily. Once he has cleared his throat he is happy for a few hours.

His bum has all cleared up now and is a healthy pink thankfully. The honey cream seemed to work well. I was told that it is expensive although only has 15ml per tube. It is from Australian honey bees and is irradiated, but I do not know how much it costs.

Fred was given a Disney Lion King sleep suit the other day by Yvonne the play therapist. The hospital took delivery of a lot of Disney clothes at Christmas, and this has found its way to Fred. He will grow into it I feel, as it is quite long, but he can spy it from his bed.

My mum and dad visited today and dad could come through and meet with Fred. Fred thought it was all great fun seeing a familiar face and behaved well though was tired at the end of the visit. You can only have two visitors in the room at any one time so mum and Rachel stayed in reception. As it was raining we headed over to the Bay Horse for some lunch and a pint which was good.

The cash cow has not progressed much today, other than the balloon deflated over night. I have also put on the nose and have taken delivery of some bits and bobs to make the udders, tail and ears.

Other than that Fred still seems to be plodding along with himself which is good. He is due a platelet infusion later this evening as they have dropped again. Obviously there is a long way to go and complications can appear suddenly but all the time he gets stronger, the more “credit” he has for dealing with problems in the future I hope.

No comments: